Thursday, August 13, 2009

The House That Rock Built


I've visited hundreds upon hundreds of houses. It's my job, it's what I do. But by far, the coolest house I've visited lately is The House That Rock Built. During a trip back home to Pittsburgh last week, my daughter, sister-in-law, and I drove to Cleveland to tour the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I'm unashamed to confess to being a rock music fanatic, so it was fun to see several items up close. For example: John Lennons' Sgt. Pepper uniform; Mick Jagger's stars and stripes cape; several Stevie Nicks dresses; priceless Les Gibson guitars; and handwritten lyrics to some great songs, to name a few.

The building's design is striking. Architect I. M. Pei's vision of the building's form is symbolic--suggesting the energy and dynamism of rock and roll. Still, Pei incorporated some of his signature forms, in particular the pyramid, dramatic angular planes, cantilevered spaces, and stark white cladding. The building sits on the shore of Lake Erie and has become paramount in the development of Cleveland's waterfront area.
What a great house tour!

1 comment:

  1. There's a red moon rising
    On the Cuyahoga River
    Rolling into Cleveland to the lake…

    "Burn On," by Randy Newman

    ReplyDelete